Whenever we’re doing a new project with a new client its important to really scout out your perfect product owner. This really helps to drive the product to a success.
In order to find where they are hiding you first need to understand the kind of requests they could get from a development team. Some things that the PO could get asked from the (tech)team:
- Can you prioritize the backlog for me?
- Can you fetch me some new stories for the supplier stakeholder?
- Can you retrieve me an excel list of all employees with email and photo so can we can import it.
- What is the reason that the company talks to the customer, can’t the repair man do it themselves?
- What has more prio/business value? The front-facing website or the mailing list functionality?
- What has your organization used before you used CRM PRO? Why didn’t it work?
- User story 5 is a bit epic, can you break them down?
- User story 6 has no value, can you ask the original stakeholder why he’s doing it this way?
- We’re not completely sure about this flow can you double check if these screens are okay for the help-desk employee?
- Can you arrange a call with 5 help-desk employees so they explain their struggles to us?
That boils it kinda down to this traits:
- Laser focused vision of what business value needs to be delivered, regardless of the how.
- Enthusiastic and motivated.
- Open minded. open to different approaches.
- Ability to listen to what the organization has to to say and distill the needs from it.
- Good reputation in the company being helpful, open, non-judgmental, easy to speak with.
- Ability to inspire people and translate the vision of the product.
- Ability to get leverage the tribal knowledge of the organization to get things done.
- Knows what knowledge what people within the organization have and knows how to extract, centralize and converge it.
- A getting things done mentality and doer.
- Fully backed and trusted by the sponsor of the project.
- Willingness to go in depth with the tech team and come up with solutions or explore options and make decisions.
- Available at any time for the team for questions.
I’ll add some more traits later.